Cheesy Hash Brown Potatoes

Cheesy Hash Brown Potatoes @ NancyCreative.com

My friend Jane Ann made this cheesy potato casserole the other day. Her department was having a special lunch at work, and this was a side dish she made for the meal. So I took some photos of it and then, of course, I had to eat it…couldn’t let any of this creamy potato cheesiness go to waste!:) It’s a yummy blend of hash browns, cream of chicken soup, sour cream, and cheddar cheese, finished off with a crunchy, buttery cornflake topping. You can definitely call this comfort food! It’s very easy to make and Jane Ann found the recipe at Cooks.com. Not only is it great as a side dish for lunch or dinner, it’s perfect for breakfast or brunch…so that gives you plenty of opportunities to try it out!

CHEESY HASH BROWN POTATOES adapted from Cooks.com

Makes a 9×13″ pan of potatoes, about 10 to 12 servings

• 2 lbs. frozen hash browns, thawed
  • 3/4 cup  (1 1/2 sticks) butter, melted and divided
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup chopped onion or green onion (Jane Ann substituted dried minced onion)
  • 1 (10 3/4-ounce) can cream of chicken soup
  • 1 pint (2 cups) sour cream (regular or light)
  • 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
  • 2 cups crushed corn flakes

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease or spray a 9×13″ pan or baking dish; set aside.

In a large bowl, combine thawed hash browns with 1/2 cup of the melted butter, pepper, salt, and chopped onion, blending well. Add in the soup and sour cream, then the cheddar cheese, mixing everything well. Spread mixture evenly into a 9×13″ baking dish. Mix remaining 1/4 cup melted butter and the crushed corn flakes together and sprinkle over top of casserole. Bake at 350 degrees, uncovered, for 50 to 60 minutes. Serve hot.

NOTE: Jane Ann said she would have liked a little more seasoning in this, but I liked it just the way it was…so, you may or may not want to use a little more salt and/or pepper to suit your taste.

Thanks for sharing your recipe with us, Jane Ann!

If these potatoes sound good to you, you may want to try this Cheesy Cream of Onion Hash Brown Casserole…it’s really yummy, too!

Linked to Show and Tell, Make it Yours Day, We Did It! Wednesday, Strut Your Stuff, Potluck Sunday.

136 thoughts on “Cheesy Hash Brown Potatoes

Thanks, Katie! I use a Canon Rebel XT digital camera–it’s about 5 or 6 years old, and it’s been a great camera for me! I tend to take a lot of shots from different angels to make sure I get one I can use, and using natural light always gives the best color and brightness. So I try to plan ahead and take shots during the day when I can!

2. Connie Behnken

I have used this same recipe for many years- However I have a variation you may like. Instead of regular hashbrowns, use Obrien Hashbrowns. You do not have to add the onion and you get more flavor. In addition, use Frosted Flakes instead of Corn Flakes. The Sweet and Salty taste is addictive!!
      Connie B.

1. Denise

We make this dish with cream of celery soup…makes them vegetarian friendly. Also we use French’s Onions in place of cornflakes…gives a great extra kick.

3. Carlene

Ok so like every time I make this..I forget to put the melted butter in the hash browns. But it still taste good. What does the butter do?? Please.

1. Teresa

I’ve tried this before and always wanted to get the recipe for it. Thanks for sharing. I agree with the previous commenter that your pictures are really nice.

Enjoy your weekend!

2. Emily

this was one of my very favorite dishes growing up! I now live in Hong Kong where I can’t buy those frozen hashbrowns. I miss it so! I’ve tried making my own, but haven’t had sucess, any tips?

Hi Emily! I thought about your question, and thought maybe you could substitute mashed potatoes for the hash browns…the texture would be creamier, but I think it would be good. Or slice your potaotes, like you would for a scalloped potato dish, and use that instead of hash browns. I haven’t tried either of those ways myself yet, so if you do give them a try, please let me know!

1. Melissa

If your looking for the same texture as the store bought hashbrowns I’ve taken left over baked potatoes from the refrigerator grated them and they r pretty close to the store bought

2. Lindsey

Peel your potatoes and grade them on a cheese grader. It is the same….you can even do it and freeze them!

3. The Red Shoe Girl

Those are what we, in UT, call “funeral potatoes” (because they are almost without exception served at funerals in these parts). Whenever my mom would make them just for dinner she’d re-name them “sunshine potatoes”. Yum!

I definitely prefer using dried onion. I also replaced the corn flakes with crushed Lay’s Balsamic Sweet Onion chips for a little variety. SO good!

I had heard from another friend about the different names for these potatoes, and they mentioned that they often show up at church suppers and potlucks, too! Those Balsamic Sweet Onion Chips sound great for a topping! I haven’t tried that flavor out yet, but I will have to get some!

4. Allison

These are called “funeral potatoes” in Utah as they’re standard fare at every funeral we have. In my family, we don’t like that so we call them sunshine potatoes:) We’re also sensitive to the MSG found in Cream of Chicken soup so you can substitute Campbell’s Healthy Request Cream of Chicken if you have the same problem.

5. Tracey M

I love potato dishes and I’ve wanted to make one like this sometime. It looks and sounds YUMMY! (Found you at Mommy’s Kitchen Potluck link up).

6. Mike

I love this recipe, been making it for years. If you really want people talking about how good it is, then I suggest replacing half of the sour cream with 1 cup of cream cheese. I promise you that you won’t regret it:)

7. Sarah

I was introduced to this recipe when I was about 10 years old, but I’ve always had it with Cream of Celery soup instead. My family and I love the extra zing it adds.

8. Melanie

I see that someone else from Utah has already replied about the “funeral potatoes”. The funny thing is that if you called15 people to make them, you would get 15 variations! haha A few other notes: For Emily in Hong Kong, I have either baked my potatoes & grated them, or boiled them, peeled the skins away & then grated them. They are actually moister that way. Also, I always add 1/4-1/2 C of Parmesan cheese to my cornflake topping. SOOOOO…Yummy!

9. Carlee

I make the same hashbrown casserole but use one can of cream of chicken and one can of cream of mushroom. It’s yummy!

10. Laura

Omg I love these!!! The only thing I do differently is add a can of cheddar cheese soup as well. It’s delicious!!

11. happy mrsc

I like these because my hubby is gluten-free and her loves the crunchy topping. I can also make this for my daughter who is a vegetarian, just use cream of mushroom soup instead of cream of chicken.

12. Kat Armstrong

I use cream of mushroom soup instead of the chicken and add a couple small cans of mushrooms to it, as well. Potato-y – cheese-y – mushroom-y – what more can you ask for?

I like your idea of adding more mushrooms, Kat! You’re exactly right–you just can’t beat the potato-cheese-mushroom combo!:)

13. Katharina

I’ve been making these hash brown potatoes for years…I but Lays chips crushed on top instead of the corn flakes. It is soooooo Yummy!!!

14. Marilyn Webb

My friend made this dish at Christmas. She told me she had gotten the recipe of Pinterest – I Joined Pinterest Just For This Recipe……… Finally I had time today and I made this dish tonight. My husband loved this dish – Thank You For Sharing

That’s great, Marilyn! Glad you and your husband like the recipe! I think you’ll love being in Pinterest–there are so many great ideas and recipes there!

1. Marilyn Webb

Yes – I love Pinterest and you made me first love it- This site makes me look forward to dinner every night – I have to prepare food for a lot of people every day. I use to be SOOOO stressed about what to cook and always over spent at the grocery store – Now I save money by buying what I need for exactly what I am going to cook – Now I find recipes on here with the yummy pics and I am not stressed anymore about dinner -YEAH !!!

15. Jan Howell

Hi, I’m from the UK and would love to make this recipe but I am unsure about the hash browns you use defrosted. The only frozen hash browns we get are triangular shaped and ready to cook. Are these the same as are used innthis recipe.

Hi Jan,
      The hash browns I used were shredded and ready to cook, so your triangular-shaped hash browns should work fine in this recipe. Just thaw them and mix with the other ingredients. Their different shape won’t affect the taste or the overall appearance of the casserole–I’m sure it’ll turn out great!:)

16. jamie

I make this with a slight kick…use the hashbrowns with peppers and onions and use either a can of cheddar cheese soup or nacho cheese soup. Spices it up just enough!!!

17. Linda

I have been using this recipe for years, but my twist to it is I add minced garlic, and the topping is 1-pkg of Ritz Crackers crushed up still in the package and throw this on top and the melted butter. Enjoy.

I love garlic, so adding that sounds really good to me!:) And the crushed cracker topping sounds really good, too, Linda!

18. Janet D

I too have always used Cream of Celery soup. And i use either southern hashbrowns (the cubed kind) or slice fresh potatoes. I make mine in the crockpot though. On low 6 to 7 hours for fresh pots or about 4ish for hashbrowns.

19. Susan Phillips

I found this same recipe in San Francisco newspaper back in 1995, and made it for a family gathering. It has since been one of my most requested side dishes..

20. Pingback: Food Friday {09.07.12} « More Than Mamas

21. Bev

they are also good with greek yogurt instead of the sour cream….also a little juice out of the Jalapeno jar…

22. Brandi

Can this be frozen? If so, before or after cooking? It is DELICIOUS but always makes more than my family can eat so I was going to freeze half of it.

I would freeze it after cooking–whatever you have left over can be reheated later! Or, you could always halve the recipe and make in a 9×9 square pan.

23. amy

I had these at a bbq recently and loved them! Just one question…do you use a small or large can of cream of chicken soup?

Use the standard smaller can size for this–I’ll have to add the ounce information so it will be more clear–thanks for checking with me, Amy!

24. Elisabeth

I made this this morning, but instead of sour cream I substituted Fage total 0 Greek Yogurt (I’m on a Greek Yogurt Kick), it was soo creamy and delicious. I also substituted French Fried Onions in place of the Corn Flakes, because well, I love those things. lol. I’ve had this recipe this way before too and is sooooo amazing! Could never go wrong with Hash Brown Casserole. Yum =)

Yes, you just can’t go wrong with a recipe like this!:) I love Greek yogurt too and substitute it for sour cream often, although I haven’t done that in this recipe, so I’ll need to try it!

25. DIANNE

I CRUNCH GARLIC & BUTTER CROUTONS AND SPRINKLE ON THE TOP THIS MAKES EVERY BITE HAVE A LITTLE CRUNCH AND DIFFERENT TEXTURE . SO GOOD !

26. Cathy Miller

I used Frenches Dried onions and sprinkled a little garlic on it…It was wonderful..also, I didn’t use hash brown! I had 2 huge baking potato’s left over from a cookout and left the skins on…it was extremely good.

Your version sounds good, Cathy! It’s nice to know that this works well with leftover baked potatoes! Thanks for sharing!:)

27. Sue Turnbeau

ok even after eating dinner, I want to make the original recipe plus several more ….and don’t have the ingredients on hand (that’s probably a good thing!) .. but will have to get and make at least one!

28. kimberly staggs

instead of corn flakes you can use sour cream and onion chips crushed up and baked on top really good

I haven’t tried it with the chips yet, Evelyn, so not sure what to say. If I were trying it for the first time that way, I’d probably try it with the butter just to see what it’s like.

29. Christin

I came across this on Pinterest yesterday. Made it tonight. I used an Italian Sharp cheese that I love (…is that considered sharp chedder?)… this is MEGADELICIOUS!

30. Laura Hyden

Maybe I’m missing it but I dont see how many this serves? Its just me and my husband so not sure if I should cut it in half or a third? & thank you I have been looking for this recipe for years! An old old family friend use to make it and called it Jackrabbit potatoes, not sure why:)

Hi Laura–thanks for pointing that out! I added a note that it makes about 10 to 12 servings. If it’s just you and your husband, you could halve or fourth the recipe–halving it and making it in an 8×8″ or 9×9″ pan would probably be easiest–they’re always great as leftovers!:)

31. Brandy

I make this same recipe but add 1 package of Lipton’s powdered onion soup. It gives it the extra seasoning.

32. Jessi

This is in the oven working it’s magic as I type! I used all organic ingredients (to include cream of chicken soup! who knew?!) And half cream cheese half greek yogurt, topped with salt and pepper potato chips! This will pair perfectly with our Easter Ham this afternoon. Thank you for the inspiration! So glad I discovered your blog. -Jessi in North Florida

33. Pingback: April 28, 2013 | Life Made Easy

34. Pingback: Sunday May 19, 2013 | Life Made Easy

35. Brittanie Ahrens

Is this something you can make in advance? I want to make it tonight for thanksgiving tomorrow but don’t know if the ingredients will separate over night. Thanks!

36. tracy

A friend of my husband’s always makes what they call potato poof. All i know is that it has hashbrowns and frosted flakes and made like a casserole. I am going to give this a try. If this is it, then it took 15 years to find it. She would not share her recipe.

37. Abby Montgomery

My famiky uses O’Brien hashbrown (the ones with red and green bell peppers already included) to make these! It adds such a depth of flavor! LOVE this recipe! Always a crowd pleaser! I’m actually making them for my in-laws for the first time Christmas day!

38. Mommer

This is my family “go to” side with ham. Last Christmas, we actually had some left over. I chopped up the leftover ham and cooked with the potato casserole and a quart of chicken stock. Made a wonderful soup!!!

39. Pingback: Easter brunch…made with l♥ve by the Cookie Mama. |

I haven’t done that myself, but I don’t see why you couldn’t do that, Teri. Just keep it well covered in your fridge.

40. Pingback: Inner Fat Kid | A Southern Belle's Story

41. Pingback: Hash Brown Casserole | Insurance

42. Pingback: New Nostalgia – My Thanksgiving Day Brunch Menu – 11 Great Recipes!

43. annette

I make my topping with crushed up lays sour cream and onion potato chips mixed with a stick of butter.

44. Lisa M

I love these but I also add a can of Cheddar Cheese soup, makes it even creamier & cheesier, yum
    Also I haven’t tried this yet but some people have suggested to use cooked crumbled bacon as the topping in place of the cornflakes

45. Yvonne Cariveau

I follow your recipe but add a can of green chilies . Just adds a little more flavor. Try it!

Sounds like a great idea, Yvonne! I love adding green chilies to different recipes–bet it would be wonderful in these potatoes!

46. Ala Ladd

Thank you for the recipe. I might add some fresh garlic as well as diced red roasted peppers for color and chopping some fresh chive or garlic chive on top when serving. I do not use condensed soup because it is processed and make my own by starting with chicken stock and thickening it to produce the same consistency. Thank you for the share and EVERYONE for their tips. Will definitely put some cream cheese in to keep the creamy consistency.