Texas Trash Warm Bean Dip

ncTxTrshWrmBnDp1nm I made this dip against my better judgement. I say that because it’s so hard to stop eating it–it’s totally addicting if you love creamy, cheesy, southwestern-style dips! You bake this in the oven and when it’s done, you dig in while it’s still warm with your favorite tortilla chips. And you may have to force yourself to stop! I added some chopped green chiles to the recipe I had found at Food.com and made it slightly different. All I can say is, wow–this dip is good! You need to try it sometime!

TEXAS TRASH WARM BEAN DIP by NancyC, adapted from Food.com

Makes a 9 x 13″ pan

• 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
  • 1 cup sour cream
  • 1 (4-ounce) can chopped green chiles, drained
  • 2 (16-ounce) cans refried beans
  • 1 (1-ounce) package taco seasoning mix
  • 2 cups shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese, divided
  • 2 cups shredded Monterey Jack Cheese, divided

Preheat oven to 350˚F. Grease or spray a 9 x 13″ baking pan; set aside. In large bowl, blend softened cream cheese and sour cream. Add in green chiles, then mix in refried beans until combined. Stir in taco seasoning mix, blending everything well, then mix in 1/2 cup each of the Cheddar and Montery Jack cheeses (a total of 1 cup), blending into the mixture well. Spread mixture evenly into the bottom of the baking pan. Sprinkle evenly with the remaining Cheddar and Monterey Jack cheeses (you’ll have a total of 3 cups of cheese to sprinkle on top). Bake at 350˚F for 25 to 30 minutes, or until cheese is melted and slightly browned. Serve with tortilla chips.

ncTxTrshWmBnDip2nm This dip is great to make for parties, game-watching, or even when you’re watching the Oscars. Are any of your favorite movies or actors and actresses nominated for awards?

Sharing this recipe at Meal Plan Monday,  Weekend PotluckInspire Me Monday, Wow Me Wednesday, Show and Share Tuesday, Full Plate Thursday.

42 thoughts on “Texas Trash Warm Bean Dip

1. Nancy

I’ve made a similar version of this for years, Nancy. I must say, yours sounds better. 🙂 Love the addition of green chilies! I’ve been known to make a lunch of this stufff… it is dangerous indeed!

2. Miz Helen

I just pinned your awesome Texas Trash Warm Bean Dip to my Appetizer Board, it looks so good. Thanks so much for sharing this awesome recipe with Full Plate Thursday. Hope you have a great weekend and come back soon!
    Miz Helen

3. Marcia Gomez

Hi Nancy,

Being a Texan I can tell you this is Mexican Seven Layer Dip. Texas Trash is a mixture of Chex cereal both wheat and rice, cheerios, pretzels, peanuts, pecans, and whatever other “trash” you want to add, mixed with melted butter with chili powder, cayenne powder, garlic powder, Worchester and optional Tabasco. You bake the mixture one to two hours on 250 degrees, stirring it carefully every 15 minutes. Now THAT is Texas Trash!!!!

1. Kathy S

Here in Cali the seven layer dip is seven layers, hence the name, SEVEN Layer Dip, at my count this has just two, the bean mixture and the cheese. What you call Texas Trash we call Chex Mix Party Mix.

4. Shelly

Any tips on how to keep this warm once out of the oven? I wonder if it could be made in a crock pot? Thoughts?

This probably could work in a slow cooker; I’m just not sure how long you would need to slow cook it! Otherwise, if you need to keep it warm before serving, you could just keep it in the oven on the “warm” setting until you’re ready to serve it.

5. Pingback: Texas Trash Dip is the gooey cure for the common queso – Rare

You probably wouldn’t want to wait any longer than 20-30 minutes to serve it after removing from the oven. Yes, you can reheat it, or just keep it in the oven on the “warm” setting until you’re ready to serve it!

1. Melissa

I like to prepare this in four smaller baking dishes and take them out of the oven one at a time and serve. That way the dip stays warm in the oven until ready to serve.

When I serve this at a large gathering it goes so quickly that I don’t have to worry about it getting hard. It literally disappears within minutes.

6. Jennifer

I love this recipe. I am thinking about adding black olive slices and maybe green onion to garnish. Thoughts? I bet this would make killer enchiladas as the filling!!!

I think the black olives and green onions would be great as a garnish, Jennifer! And yes, I never thought of using it as an enchilada filling, but that sounds really good, too! Great ideas!

7. Melissa

We LOVED this dip. The best Mexican dip I have ever made

I chopped up some fresh jalapeño rather than the can of green chilies.

I had some green onions on hand so I snipped them and sprinkled on top after I took it out of the oven.

8. arlla

I could probably wear this as a necklace. 🙂 But to add black olives and hamburger. OMG! I am making this this weekend. YUM!

9. Audra B.

Hi! I don’t even remember where I found this recipe but I saved it and made it today and it is sooooooooooooooooo good, I can’t stop eating it! lol. Thank you for the yumminess! 🙂

10. Melissa

This is my go-to dip now for parties and pitch-in dinners. I like to snip some green onions and sprinkle on top but the recipe is perfect the way it is.

I don’t remember where I found the link to this recipe and your blog but I am so glad that I did! I have found several recipes that we love, and your photos are beautiful.

Thanks so much, Melissa–that’s so nice to hear! 🙂 I like your idea of sprinkling green onions on top of this dip!

11. Pingback: The Great Pumpkin Party – Orange Blossom Belle