Texas Caviar

ncTexasCaviarnm

The Super Bowl is just about here and if you’re planning on watching the game, you’re probably deciding on what kind of snacks you want to make. If you’re still looking for ideas, this Texas Caviar is a great recipe to try! Some people also call this Cowboy Caviar. I’ve seen lots of variations on this dip and decided to come up with my own version. Most recipes you’ll see have black beans, black-eyed peas or pinto beans, corn, tomatoes, bell pepper, and onion. I like adding chopped green chiles and avocado to mine. And olives–don’t forget the olives! It’s actually quite a healthy mix of veggies and beans. I used canned diced tomatoes, but you can dice up some fresh ones, and you can use fresh or frozen corn instead of canned. And it tastes great! Serve it with those scoop-style chips and enjoy every bite!

TEXAS CAVIAR by NancyC

Makes 6-8 servings

• 1 small red onion (or 1/2 large), finely chopped
  • 1 green bell pepper, finely chopped
  • 1 to 2 cloves minced garlic
  • 1 (15-ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained (or use an equivalent amount of fresh tomatoes)
  • 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1 (15-ounce can black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
  • 1 (15-ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained (or use a 10-ounce bag of frozen corn, thawed)
  • 1/2 cup sliced black olives (I used sliced Kalamata olives)
  • 1 (4-ounce) can chopped green chiles (or use fresh)
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
  • 1/2 teaspoon pepper, or to taste
  • 2/3 cup Italian salad dressing (regular or light)
  • 1 large avocado, cut into small chunks
  • 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro

Mix all ingredients, except for the Italian salad dressing, cilantro, and avocado in a large bowl, blending so all ingredients are distributed evenly.

Add the Italian dressing; toss well so all ingredients are coated with dressing.

Cover and chill in the refrigerator for about 2 hours. Then toss with chopped fresh cilantro and avocado.

Put mixture into a large serving bowl or several smaller bowls and serve with tortilla chips.

When it comes to watching the Super Bowl, I have to admit I actually enjoy the commercials the most! I like going to sports games, but watching them on TV just doesn’t hold my interest. What do you like best–the game or the commercials?

Linked to Inspire Me Monday at Create with Joy.

29 thoughts on “Texas Caviar

1. Tanya Boser

I make a version of this with green onion, green pepper, roma tomatoes, hominy, cilantro, and zesty Italian dressing. I have learned to just bring copies of the recipe 🙂

2. Shari

This looks wonderful, Nancy! I love that you added avocado and green chiles to it as well. Perfect Super Bowl Recipe or any other kind of celebration! Thanks for sharing this. I’ve never made it before, but know I would love it!

3. Patty Nguyen

I’m not a big sports on TV fan either, Nancy. I like going to games, but my eyes glaze over when the games are on TV. However, one of my favorite things about going to games is the food…so perhaps I’m really just a food fan and not so much into the sports part of it? 😉

You’re welcome, Jess! We think alike–I actually do eat this sometimes just with a spoon 🙂 Serving with crackers is a great idea, too!

4. Loretta

I make a similar dip called Cowboy Caviar, it really is quite delicious. I see you are all set for Superbowl Sunday, I’m sure your dip will be gone in no time 🙂

I bet it will be great with your lemon and olive oil dressing! I’ve also seen that some people use a dressing of red wine vinegar and olive oil, or lime juice and olive oil–they all sound good to me! 🙂

5. RM

Looks so good. I’d almost force myself to pretend I’m watching the super bowl if I could have some of that!

6. Pingback: Tea Time #5 – We’re going Goji today | Eclectic odds n sods

7. Donna

I make something similar and always change it up, different beans, corn, onion, garlic, avocado, peppers…no cilantro. I make a lime dressing and it gives it just the right twang

I’ve seem some recipes that use lime juice or red wine vinegar mixed with olive oil as a dressing, so those are both good options!