If you’re wanting something to eat that will warm you up during this chilly winter season, this Veggie Black Bean Chili is definitely the recipe to make! It’s easy to put together and healthy, too–with black beans, onion, garlic, green bell pepper, crushed tomatoes, green chiles, and corn. And I was happily surprised to find that I could find organic ingredients, even for the canned items, at the regular grocery store I go to. They’re starting to carry more organic items, which is great!
This chili is super thick and chunky with a lightly spicy flavor (if you don’t want any spiciness, leave out the crushed red pepper). The red wine vinegar gives it a little zing–I thought I’d use that instead of salt. I didn’t top my chili with anything, but you could garnish it with a dollop of sour cream, a sprinkle of shredded cheddar cheese, or some sliced green onions…or all three!
VEGGIE BLACK BEAN CHILI by NancyC
Makes 4 servings
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium size sweet yellow onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium size green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 2 Tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper (red pepper flakes)
- 1 Tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 2 (15-ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 (7-ounce) can chopped green chiles, drained
- 1 (15-ounce) can whole kernel corn
- Optional: sour cream, cheddar cheese, and/or finely sliced green onion stems, for garnish
In a large pot or Dutch oven, saute onion, garlic, and green bell pepper in oil over medium low heat for 8 to 10 minutes, until tender. Stir in chili powder, cumin, paprika, crushed red pepper, and red wine vinegar, then cook an additional 3 to 4 minutes.
Add black beans, crushed tomatoes, water, green chilies, and corn; stir ingredients together, and bring to a boil over medium-high heat; reduce heat to low and simmer for 30 to 35 minutes. Serve immediately.
Chili is one of my favorite fall and winter dishes. And I love trying new chili recipes! Do you have a favorite chili recipe you like making?
Linked to Inspire Me Monday at Create with Joy.