Blackberry Scones

ncBlkberryScones1nm

Hope you are enjoying the last day of your holiday weekend! I haven’t touched my computer for several days and it sure has been nice to unplug for awhile! 🙂 I haven’t done much cooking or baking this weekend either, but I did make another blackberry recipe with those blackberries I picked. I thought blackberry scones would be nice to try, and I actually tried a recipe out last week which did not turn out well at all! But I wasn’t quite ready to give up on blackberry scones, so this was my second attempt. And these scones turned out so much better! They are slightly sweet, moist, brimming with blackberries, and topped with a light creamy glaze…just the thing for a summer breakfast! You’ll need to use frozen blackberries (or freeze your fresh ones) so they won’t get all mushed up when you’re kneading the dough. The frozen blackberries will color the dough a little as you’re kneading it, but fortunately you only have to knead it a few times. If you don’t have blackberries, blueberries will work fine, too!

BLACKBERRY SCONES by NancyC, adapted from Tasty Kitchen

Makes 8 scones

• 1/2 cup plain or vanilla Greek yogurt
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 2 cups all-purpose unbleached flour
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup (1 stick) cold unsalted butter, diced
  • 1 cup frozen blackberries

LIGHT CREAM GLAZE

• 1 cup powdered sugar
  • 2 Tablespoons Half & Half (light cream)

Preheat oven to 350˚F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

In a small bowl, blend Greek yogurt and baking soda; set aside.

In another small bowl, blend together the egg and vanilla; set aside.

In a large bowl, stir together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Cut in the cold butter using a pastry blender until the butter is the size of small peas.

Stir together the yogurt/baking soda mixture and the egg/vanilla mixture; then add this mixture to the flour mixture, stirring just until moistened. Gently stir in the frozen blackberries.

Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured board and knead a few times, just until the dough comes together. Place the dough onto the parchment-lined baking sheet and pat into a round disk about 1/2″ to 3/4″ thick. Score into 8 wedges. Bake for 28 to 30 minutes, or until the scones are golden brown and a toothpick inserted near center comes out clean or almost clean.

Cool scones for 15 minutes, then top with glaze. To make glaze, put 1 cup powdered sugar in a small bowl. Add 2 Tablespoons of Half & Half (light cream) and stir until well blended and creamy. Drizzle over cooled scones–drizzle on as much or as little glaze as you like–you probably won’t need to use all of it.

ncBlkberry?Scones2nm

These scones were probably the most noteworthy thing I made over the 4th of July weekend–did you make any special holiday treats?

Linked to Inspire Me Monday, Show and Share Party, Wow Us Wednesdays, Wonderful Wednesday, Full Plate Thursday, Thursday Favorite Things.

38 thoughts on “Blackberry Scones

1. liztiptopshape

These look delicious!! I made Strawberry Lemonade Cupcakes for a party this weekend and despite my messing up the frosting (I bought cream cheese spread instead of actual cream cheese – still can’t figure how I managed that!) they turned out really well!

2. Pure Grace Farms

Beautiful pictures…I am waiting for my blackberries to ripen. This may be the first thing I make with them this year. Looks delicious.Stopping by from Inspire Me Monday.
    Blessings,
    Shari

3. Pure Grace Farms

Thank you Nancy for sharing this beautiful post at the Wonderful Wednesday Blog Hop. Triple the love coming your way! Featuring your FB page tomorrow on my Page and sharing your lovely post as well tomorrow. I have fallen in love with your lovely site!
    Blessings,
    Shari

Thanks so much, Shari, that’s wonderful! 🙂 I really love your site too, and am so glad you have the Wonderful Wednesday blog hop!

4. Bam's Kitchen

Delicious! Oh my goodness great minds think alike. I just made blueberry scones with a lemon glaze for our new neighbors that moved in just across the hall. Will try it with blackberries next time. Love how you cut your’s into a wheel and here I was with a measuring tape and a knife trying to figure out how to make rectangles. LOL

5. MyKabulKitchen

Looks delicious, I like that the recipe includes yogurt I have not seen that in scone recipes and have actually never baked scones before, I may do this with blueberries instead as I have two packs in the fridge. Also I have seen scone recipes where you have to individually shape the scones…that makes me a bit nervous as I feel they will all spread and look different so I like that you bake this like a cake, thanks for sharing!

6. Pingback: Inspire Me Monday – Week 132 | Create With Joy

7. Cathy Kennedy

Visiting from Inspire Me Monday. This looks really yummy. I have always wanted to try making scones, so I saved your recipe so I may try it some time soon. Thanks for sharing! Now following you on Twitter from @ETNhome!

8. Miz Helen

Thank you so much for sharing your post with Full Plate Thursday. Hope you are having a great week and come back to see us real soon!
    Miz Helen

9. Miz Helen

Congratulations!
    Your recipe is featured on Full Plate Thursday this week. Enjoy your weekend and your new Red Plate.
    Come Back Soon!