Sweet Potato Pound Cake

ncSwtPotatoPdCk1nm

I love baking with sweet potatoes–I’ve made Sweet Potato Bread, Sweet Potato Biscuits, Loaded Sweet Potato Muffins, and Sweet Potato Cinnamon Cake… so I thought it was about time to try a sweet potato pound cake! I found a great-sounding recipe at Taste of Home and tweaked it a little, using some brown sugar along with granulated sugar in the batter, and adding a little more cinnamon and nutmeg, plus some chopped pecans.

Having a slice of this cake is like having a little slice of sweet potato heaven! It’s rich and moist, and I really like the cinnamon-nutmeg flavors in this. The glaze on top is great, too, giving the cake a light orangey sweetness. It’s a perfect dessert for enjoying with a cup of coffee or tea–maybe iced coffee or tea, since the weather is warming up! 🙂

SWEET POTATO POUND CAKE by NancyCreative, adapted from Taste of Home

Makes 12 servings

• 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
  • 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
  • 1/2 cup light or dark brown sugar, well-packed
  • 4 large eggs
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • 3 cups all-purpose unbleached flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 3 cups cold mashed sweet potatoes (if using canned, you’ll need a 40-ounce can)
  • 1 cup pecans, coarsely chopped (optional)

ORANGE GLAZE

• 1 1/2 cups confectioners’ (powdered) sugar
  • 3 Tablespoons orange juice
  • 1 heaping Tablespoon of chopped pecans, for garnish

In a large bowl, cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla.

In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg; add to the creamed mixture in the large bowl alternately with the mashed sweet potatoes. Then fold in the pecans and mix just until combined (batter will be stiff).

Pour into a greased and floured 10-inch bundt pan. Bake at 350˚F for 55 to 60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.

While cake is cooling, mix the glaze in a small bowl. Combine the confectioners’ sugar, orange peel, and orange juice, blending well. When cake is cool, drizzle glaze over cake and top with additional chopped pecans, if desired.

Do you like baking with sweet potatoes? What’s your favorite sweet potato dessert?

Linked to Wow Us Wednedays, Full Plate Thursday, Favorite Things Thursday, Nifty Thrifty Sunday, Inspire Me Monday. Nifty Thrifty Tuesday.

39 thoughts on “Sweet Potato Pound Cake

1. Darya

Oh this looks so delicious. I love sweet potatoes, and never think of using them for anything… sweet! Thanks for the inspiration.

2. strictlydelicious

Oh my goodness. My family loves pound cake, but we’ve certainly never tried it this way before! I love the idea to incorporate sweet potato into the cake batter! And that glaze…. whew!

3. Nancy

Looks delicious, Nancy. I’ve never had a sweet potato cake [only pies]. The orange glaze seems to be the perfect finishing touch…great compliment to the sweet potato flavor! Very nice. 🙂

4. randle

This looks so delicious! I love cooking sweet potatoes instead of pumpkin. Can’t wait to try this pound cake. 🙂

5. tableofcolors

Oh, goodness! This cake looks wonderful. And I have a large sweet potato in my fridge…and I was planning that tomorrow is a baking day! Thanks for the recipe…I will be trying it in the morning, if my baby lets me. 🙂

6. Jess

Nancy this cake looks divine! And as to your question, I’ve made both Sweet Potato Bread and Biscuits- both were delicious 🙂

7. Patty Nguyen

Sweet potatoes are so tasty! I know it’s spring, but this would be a great addition to my Thanksgiving dinner spread! My mom is a picky eater so I’m always on the lookout for recipes she would enjoy. 🙂

You’re right, Patty–this would be a great dessert for Thanksgiving! I actually first thought about making this last autumn, but I never got around to it–too many recipes to try and so little time! 🙂

8. lapetitecasserole

I’ve tried to make a cake with potatoes once, it was really good and really funny prepare a cake boiling potatoes… I bet that this version with sweet potatoes is 10 times better! thanks a lot Nancy for sharing it!

9. plutrell

Sounds delicious…I never would have thought to use sweet potatoes in a pound cake. I just might give this a try! Thanks for sharing on the Thursday Blog Hop!!

10. createwithjoy

This is scrumptious!
    Congratulations – you are one of my featured guests, Nancy, at this week’s Inspire Me Monday at Create With Joy! 🙂

11. Pingback: Ponyride | tableofcolors