Blueberry Green Tea Smoothie

ncBlubryGrTeaSm1nm

I saw this smoothie at Food.com not long ago and was kind of intrigued by the blueberry/green tea combination, wondering just what that would taste like. I had plenty of green tea on hand, some blueberries in my freezer, and vanilla yogurt in my fridge, so I didn’t have to buy a single thing to make this, which was nice. The recipe at Food.com mentions that green tea gives your metabolism an extra “jolt,” so it sounded like a good thing to try! 🙂 You do have to plan ahead a little to make this, because it works best if you brew the tea the night before and refrigerate it so it’s chilled in the morning.

I love the taste of this smoothie! It has a great blueberry flavor–you don’t really taste the green tea or flax seed in it. And it’s a nice thick smoothie because of the frozen blueberries and ice. I left out the almonds from the original recipe, but added some honey to make it a little sweeter. I’m sure I’ll be making this a lot, especially in the summer, because it’s very refreshing. This recipe is for a large single serving or 2 small servings–if you need to make more, just multiply the ingredients by the number of servings you want to make!

BLUEBERRY GREEN TEA SMOOTHIE by NancyCreative, adapted from Food.com

Makes about 14 ounces (1 large serving or 2 small servings)

• 1/3 cup water
  • 1 green tea bag (brew the tea the night before so it’s well-chilled in the morning)
  • 1 cup frozen blueberries
  • 2 ice cubes
  • 3/4 cup vanilla yogurt
  • 1 Tablespoon ground flax seed
  • 1 Tablespoon honey

The evening before making this, bring the 1/3 cup of water to a boil and pour over tea bag; steep 4 minutes. Squeeze and remove tea bag and discard. Chill tea in refrigerator overnight.

The next morning, place tea, blueberries, ice cubes, yogurt, honey, and flax seed in blender; process until smooth, and serve.

This was my first smoothie made with tea! Have you used green tea or any kind of tea in a smoothie before?

Linked to Fiesta FridayInspire Me MondayNifty Thrifty Tuesday, New Nostalgia. Foodie Friday.

38 thoughts on “Blueberry Green Tea Smoothie

1. Nancy

Delicious Nancy…I’m off to brew my green tea so I can enjoy this tomorrow! Thanks for sharing such a beautiful and delicious smoothie. 🙂

I hadn’t ever thought of using green tea in a smoothie before, either, but it really is good! Hope you like it, Janine! 🙂

2. Butter, Basil and Breadcrumbs

I love this Nancy!! It’s absolutely perfect, refreshing, and such a pretty color to bring to the table on Fiesta Friday!! There isn’t a single thing in this smoothie that I don’t like. I love green tea and blueberries.. (I actually just ate a blueberry yogurt, although not as delicious as this!) I just said to my husband the other night that we need to start drinking smoothies more often… and he was actually on board with one of my suggestions for once! 🙂
    Thank you for sharing this beautiful smoothie with all of us on FF#13!! It’s perfect. ❤

3. Aditi

That is so gorgeous and healthy too! We’ve been having smoothies this week- green tea blueberry sounds like a good combination to add to our list.

4. Pingback: COOL DESSERTS I LIKED | foodlikecake

5. Maulshri Mitra

I have never ever had tea in my life but i am sure my moms going to love this and I love the colour purple . The smoothie looks so fresh and its so healthy wow!

6. saucygander

Mmm we drink gallons of green tea, so this smoothie sounds perfect! I love the wholesome ingredients here – blueberries, flax seeds, green tea – and it would be wonderful with local honey! Thanks for sharing the recipe! 😀

7. Kaila511

I’ve never used tea in a smoothie before, but it’s such an interesting idea! It opens the smoothie machine up to so many new options! Can’t wait to try 🙂

8. mindiehilton

Beautiful pic, sounds really good too. I was recently diagnosed with breast cancer and flax-seeds are one of those items I am trying to eat more of. This looks like a great recipe for me, plus I love green tea. Please come share at the Anything Goes linky, if you have not already.

Hope you enjoy the recipe and I’ll visit your link! And I’m sorry to hear about your diagnosis–praying it will heal completely!

9. eclecticoddsnsods

hehe i did a very slight variation of this for my childrens breakfast this morning, they were like “oh wow” I will be posting it in the next couple of days 🙂 Would love for you to see the creation x

10. Pingback: Random Moment of Delight #18 ~ What makes a perfect weekend for you? | Eclectic odds n sods