Tennessee Cornbread Salad

ncTnCrnbrdSal2nm

This Tennessee Cornbread Salad is a new favorite recipe of mine! I had heard of cornbread salad before, but never really thought about making it–after all, cornbread in a salad? I wasn’t sure what to think about that! Then Krusteaz sent me some of their mixes to try, one of which was Southern Cornbread. And they had a recipe on their site called Tennessee Cornbread Salad. It looked pretty good, so I decided to try it out. You don’t have to use a cornbread mix in this recipe–you can use your favorite homemade cornbread, too! I made a few changes to the recipe, using a little more crumbled cornbread, adding 1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese, and substituting turkey bacon for regular bacon. I thought this salad was so good! It really surpassed my expectations.

I was a little skeptical about the dressing–a mix of mayonnaise and sweet pickle juice–but it actually tastes great! I did make a little change to the dressing, substituting a small amount of plain Greek yogurt for the mayo. I also thought corn would be great in this, but didn’t have any to use at the time I was making the salad, so I listed it as an optional ingredient. ncTnCrnbrdSal1nm

I usually make cornbread from scratch, but a mix is convenient–especially when you’re making a recipe like this where you need to make the cornbread to use as an ingredient! It saves a little time, and this Krusteaz Southern Cornbread mix bakes up really nice and tastes like homemade. If you’re on the fence about making cornbread salad, I recommend trying this recipe out! I don’t think you’ll be disappointed!

TENNESSEE CORNBREAD SALAD adapted from Krusteaz

Makes 12 servings Dressing:

• 1 cup mayonnaise (I used 3/4 cup light mayonnaise and 1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt)
  • 1/4 cup sweet pickle juice

Salad:

• 4 cups crumbled, baked cornbread (I used Krusteaz Natural Southern Cornbread & Muffin Mix, 11.5 oz.)
  • 12 slices crisp cooked bacon, crumbled (I used turkey bacon)
  • 3 cups chopped tomatoes
  • 1 cup chopped celery
  • 1 cup chopped onions
  • 1/2 cup chopped sweet pickles
  • 1 cup shredded Cheddar Cheese
  • Optional: 1 (15-ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
  • Optional: some finely chopped celery and crumbled cornbread for garnish

For Dressing: Whisk together mayonnaise, yogurt, and pickle juice; set aside. For Salad: In large clear bowl, place half of the crumbled cornbread (2 cups). In separate bowl, combine remaining ingredients and spoon half of the mixture over the cornbread. Spread half of the dressing over the vegetables. Repeat layers. Instead of spreading the top layer of dressing over all the veggies, I heaped it in the center, as you can see in the photo. Then I added a little finely chopped celery and crumbled cornbread for a garnish. Chill 2-3 hours before serving. ncTnCnbrd3nm

I’m not sure why this is called TENNESSEE Cornbread Salad other than that it must be a popular way to make it in Tennessee. Are any of you from Tennessee and have you made cornbread salad this way before?

Some other recipes you can make with Krusteaz mixes include Easter Egg Shortbread Cookies, Lemon Raspberry Tart, and Cinnamon Rolls–great treats for Easter weekend!

Linked to Inspire Me Monday, Nifty Thrifty Tuesday, Full Plate Thursday, Favorite Things Thursday.
Miz Helen’s Country Cottage

23 thoughts on “Tennessee Cornbread Salad

1. Kathy

I have tried Krusteaz brand mixes, they ‘re very tasty. I’ve never heard of cornbread salad, but you make it sound so good I’ll definitely have to give it a try. It looks lovely!

2. Kathy

I always read and enjoy all of your e-mails. I keep a lot of your recipes. I’m getting ready to purchase my own home and when I do, I’ll for sure be trying loads of new recipes.

3. Lisa Hutchinson

This sounds really good. I love krusteaz pancake mix. Can’t wait to try the cornbread.

4. Lynn Zane

I use the Krusteaz products. Waffle, pancake mix, honey cornbread mix too. They are reasonably priced and a great product. I have never made a corn bread salad, it sounds delicious. I have been following you for about 2 months now, and have made several recipes seen on your site.

5. Bam's Kitchen

Gorgeous Nancy! I so need to get one of those beautiful bowls so I can make this recipe. Hey I am off to check out your cookie and bar recipes as I have heaps of teenagers coming over later this afternoon. any suggestions?

6. Chandice

Hi Nancy,
    I have never heard of cornbread salad. Sounds delicious 😀 I have used Krusteaz pancake mix and it’s pretty good! I follow you through your email posts 😀

7. nikkoferrous

I’m from TN and had never heard of Cornbread Salad, until I went to the National Cornbread Festival in South Pittsburg TN, which is better known as the home of Lodge Cast Iron. There is a website for the event – http://www.nationalcornbread.com. They have a cookoff and various vendors there selling cornbread food items, one is a bank that is well known for their famous and secret recipe for cornbread salad.
    While your recipe is very similar, their recipe includes green pepper. I found a recipe and tinkered with it to try to get it similar to what we had at the cornbread festival. Unfortunately it’s heavy on bacon and cornbread which makes it not so healthy, but your suggestions lighten it up.

That Cornbread Festival sounds like a lot of fun! And green pepper sounds like a great addition to the salad! Yes, it’s not exactly a low-calorie meal, but you can lighten it up a little! 🙂

8. Anna

I’ve been trying to get my hands on great-textured cornbread for ages and was just about ready to give up when I stumbled upon Marie’s Callender’s cornbread mixes in Fairway Market. I had never used that brand of products before but I thought, “Hey, one more try can’t hurt.” I tried it and I must say, the taste was exceptional and the texture was perfect! I could feel the cornbread muffins melting on my tongue. It was absolutely worth the wait. You guys should definitely check their website http://www.mccornbread.com and try their mixes.

9. Miz Helen

Hi Nancy,
    When I read your recipe title, I knew this one would be for me, it looks fantastic!! Hope you are having a great weekend and thanks so much for sharing your awesome recipe with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!