If you’re a fan of cornbread or savory, cheesy breads, I think you will love this recipe! Ann gave it to me last fall, after I had made some Cheddar and Green Onion Cornbread. I finally got around to making this, and wish I had made it much sooner because it is sooooo good! It’s a moist, cheesy cornbread with bacon, onion, and pimiento added in. And also, of course, jalapenos, which give the cornbread a nice spicy kick. If you don’t want it spicy, use green chiles instead, and you’ll have a tasty, mild and savory cornbread.
This cornbread is perfect for breakfast or brunch any time of year. You could serve it with eggs and breakfast potatoes (like these yummy Onion-Roasted Potatoes). Since this cornbread has bacon in it, you could even just serve it with a fruit salad for a lighter breakfast.
ANN’S JALAPENO (OR GREEN CHILE) CORNBREAD
- 2 (8.5-ounce) packages Jiffy® corn muffin mix
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil (I used canola oil)
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
- 2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 1 (2-ounce) jar diced pimiento, drained (optional)
- 1/2 pound bacon (cut in small pieces and fried) or substitute a 3-ounce package of real bacon pieces–about 3/4 cup
- 1 small grated onion
- 1/4 cup (or more, to taste) chopped jalapenos OR 1 (4-ounce) can chopped green chiles, drained
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9×13″ pan or spray with cooking spray.
In large bowl, mix corn muffin mix, sugar, eggs, vegetable (or canola) oil, and milk, blending well. Add in corn, cheese, pimiento, bacon, onion, and jalapenos or green chiles. Mix all ingredients together, blending well; pour into prepared pan.
Bake at 350 degrees for 40 to 50 minutes (mine took 50 minutes to bake), until top is golden and set. Serve immediately or while still warm.
This really is a must-try recipe!
There are so many variations of cornbread–some are cakey, and some are moist, like this one. Some are pretty simple, and some, like this, have lots of add-ins. Which way do you like cornbread best?