Arkansas Green Beans

ncArkGrBns1nm I made these yummy green beans the other day. Not sure why they’re called ARKANSAS Green Beans…maybe someone from Arkansas originally came up with the recipe. But wherever the recipe originated from, they sure are good! My friend Jane told me about these green beans, which she found at AllRecipes.com. My version is slightly different…I added more bacon. And instead of laying slightly-cooked bacon strips over the green beans, I cooked my bacon strips a little longer and divided them into large pieces so there would be more bacon in every bite! Be careful not to cook the bacon until it’s real crispy because then it will be too dry after baking in the oven. This is a side dish that is worthy of being called comfort food! The brown sugar-butter-soy sauce mixture that you pour over the beans is what gives this dish such a great flavor. Give these Arkansas Green Beans a try and see what you think!

ARKANSAS GREEN BEANS  (adapted from AllRecipes; makes 10 servings)

• 5 (15-ounce) cans green beans, drained (note: you can substitute a similar amount of frozen green beans, about 4 (12-ounce) bags, thawed, or you can use fresh green beans, too)
  • 12 slices bacon
  • 2/3 cup brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup butter, melted
  • 7 teaspoons soy sauce
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place the drained green beans in a 9×13″ baking pan. Cook bacon in a frying pan on your stove top or in a microwave on a microwave-safe plate until bacon strips are cooked enough to chop into large pieces (they should be done, but not real crispy). Sprinkle the bacon pieces on top of the green beans. Combine the brown sugar, melted butter, soy sauce, and garlic powder in a small bowl. Pour this mixture over the green beans and bacon. Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 40 minutes. Remove from oven and serve. ncArkGrBns3nm I like these green beans so much, I could eat several small platefuls of them!:)

108 thoughts on “Arkansas Green Beans

1. Jojomarie

This recipe gets and A+! I made these for a church dinner where I served bbq meatballs, coleslaw and potatoes. The beans were a hit. Because I made such a large amount (3 large cans), I bought 3 lbs. of bacon trimmed ends from our local cash and carry. The pieces were thicker than regular bacon, but fried up, they were perfect for this. I will definitely made again!

1. Clara

I’m going to use real green beans. Did you blanch them before baking them in the oven? Thanks!:)

Hi Clara–I used canned green beans, so I didn’t need to blanch them. Since you’re using fresh green beans, I think it would be a good idea. Let me know how it works out!

1. April

Very similar to what my grandma called South Carolina Greasy Beans. Have to try this version.

2. Peggy Summitt

This is basically the recipe for green bean bundles…only I started putting it all in there pan together instead of bundling. I also do not cook the bacon beforehand and cook longer at a lower temp….so delish ….when I take it somewhere it is the first dish gone! And I am from Arkansas!

I was wondering if it would work not cooking the bacon beforehand…that sounds like an easier way to make it! Thanks for the tip, Peggy!:) It’s nice to hear from another Arkansan!

2. Kristi

I would love to make it without precooking the bacon. What temp and for how long do you cook them? Thanks so much!!

If you don’t want to precook your bacon, I’d check it after 40 minutes (at 350 degrees)–if the bacon doesn’t look quite done, keep it in another 5 to 10 minutes. Let me know how it works out for you!

3. Kathy

Wonder if you could use the Oscar Mayer Bacon Pieces instead of frying your own bacon, just as a shortcut?

Yes, you could try that to save time. It may not be quite as flavorful as it is when the bacon is baking in the oven with the green beans, but I’m sure it would still be good, Kathy!

Hi Linda–I’m sure it could work although, not having tried it myself, I wouldn’t know how long to recommend cooking it in the crock pot. Also, the bacon might have a more soggy texture than if you baked it in the oven. If you decide to try it in the crock pot, let me know how it turns out for you!

4. Karista

Nancy, love these green beans! I grew up in Arkansas and we always cook our green beans with bacon. I don’t think you’d find a restaurant or home in Arkansas without bacon in the green beans. LOL! Before I went to culinary school thats how I thought everyone ate their green beans.:)

5. Tammy

I cook these a lot. My recipe is also for “green bean bundles” but for time purposes I also make it all together in a baking dish. The only difference in my version is that I marinate the beans overnight in the sauce. Try it!

6. Ashley

I have been making this side dish for over 8 years and I buy the Hormel real bacon bits and sprinkle it over the top to save time!! This is a huge favorite in my house and actually on the menu ths week!! SO GOOD!!!!

7. Pingback: a stately neighbors famous green beans « a girl, a fork and a spoon

8. Pingback: Arkansas Green Beans AND CHICKEN! | little j's kitchen

9. amycolvin

I make a similar green bean dish, but I use Worcestershire sauce instead of soy and add thinly sliced onions. This was my answer to the “green bean bundles” because I have a large family!

10. Nancy

Are these not really salty with all the soy sauce? Love the sounds but worried about it tasting very salty???

I typically don’t use a lot of salt to season my food, and I really liked the way the sauce tasted. You could mix up just the sauce ingredients ahead of time to see how it tastes–that way you’ll know!

11. Angel

Hey, I wanted to tell you the reason that I think they are called Arkansas Green beans. I worked at place called Marketplace Grill in Springdale, Arkansas…it’s a very nice restaurant and they serve “sweet green beans” on the menu…Yum Yum and these taste just like them. They also serve garlic mashed potatoes which go very well with these…

That just may be why these are named Arkansas Green Beans! Garlic mashed potatoes sound like a great combination with these, too! Now I’m getting hungry…:)

12. Amy

These are in the oven as we speak and I took a bite as I stirred them – OMG! The best side dish for Thanksgiving ever!

13. MJBratton

I love this recipe and today I am going to put it in the crockpot rather than the oven just to have everything ready at the same time. Hopefully, it will work just as well.

14. Juanita Waugh

Neats 12/23/12
    I was told by a great friend many years ago if you rinse green beans 5-6 times before pouring from the can they taste more like fresh. It takes the canned taste away from them. Everyone, family and friends alike love my regular green beans but I am going to try this out on them. This sounds like a refreshing break from the norm.

15. Porky

Has anyone tried adding some caramelized onions to this also?? We would be making it with turkey bacon, as that is what we have here. Maybe start it in the morning in the crockpot and sniff it all day long… without snitching some???? Won’t happen….

16. Pingback: The Things Kids Say and Menu Plan Monday Jan 28 | Mama Sonshine

17. Pingback: a family favorite casserole dish - Mrs. Hines Class

18. Darla

Made these tonight. They are a definite keeper and a BIG hit with the whole family! THANK YOU for giving me a reason to be able to eat green beans again!! LOL

19. Pingback: Menu Plan Monday March 11 | Mama Sonshine

20. Rosemary Ayala

I always make my green beans on top of the stove or in the microwave. I drain the green beans then add pepper, diced onion, small amount of butter and pieces of cooked bacon (but not to the hard, crunchy stage. Only to where it is cooked but still flexible). My grandma’s recipe. I am a mid-western girl and this is the only way to eat green beans. Although my version is pretty easy, I will have to try the oven version. It sounds good too! I love dressed up green beans!

21. Pingback: Meal Plan Monday 3/18 and what happened to six months? | Mama Sonshine

22. Dee Bauer

This recipe is similar to the one published in Arkansas Life in the fall of 2012. It was in a Thanksgiving food article featuring the reicipes of former and current Arkansas First Ladies. The similar recipe was from former first lady Gay White. I have lost the recipe and cannot find it online. It was deliciou! I believe it called for vinegar or cider vinegar instead if soy sauce or Worcestershire. Does anyone have that recipe?

23. Kayla

Made these last night for dinner and they were a hit!! 4 people – 5 cans of beans and all that is left over is maybe a cup! Thanks for sharing Nancy!

24. Pingback: Arkansas Green Beans | Do It And How

25. Pingback: Arkansas Green Beans | The Pink Gourmet

26. Pingback: Arkansas Green Beans | What2Cook

27. tom

I did them in a cast iron skillet on the bbq while I was cooking a steak. They were great !. I used frozen beans, a little more butter and chopped garlic instead of powder. Great way to make green beans !

28. Lindsey

I have made these before for some friends who don’t even like green beans and now every time they see me they ask, “when are you going to make those green beans again?” LOL great recipe, thanks for sharing! Big hit at my home!

29. Pingback: Arkansas Green Beans

30. Pingback: What’s Cooking Wednesday…on Saturday…1/25/14 | one dollar cottage

31. Pingback: What’s Cooking Wednesday…on Saturday…1/25/14 | whatever kary says...

1. Samantha

Thanks so much. Going to make these instead of Green Bean Casserole for Thanksgiving. They look YUMMY!!!

32. Pingback: Delicious Thanksgiving Leftover Recipes - Eating on a Dime

I haven’t done that myself, but I don’t see why you couldn’t make it ahead, Kelli–it should work out OK!

1. Kelli

Thanks. I think I will just soak the beans with the sauce and save the bacon for right before they go in the oven.

Hi Amber-I think the easiest way would just be to put the pan of green beans in the oven and reheat-maybe for 5 or 10 minutes, or until everything is thoroughly warmed.

It has a slightly sweet taste–I think the flavors are all pretty balanced–the soy sauce and garlic don’t come across that strongly.

33. Natasha

Made these tonight. Half way through mixing I realized I was out of soy sauce. Going to town was not an option, so I dug around and found some Sesame Ginger Salad Dressing in the fridge. I also skipped pre-cooking the bacon. It turned out great!! And I’m also from Arkansas.

1. Tracey Valentine

This sounds delicious. Do you know how many servings is it. How about calories per serving too.

This makes about 10 servings. The original recipe said 146 calories per serving–since I added a little more bacon, this recipe would be a little more than that!