Really Easy Peppermint Bark

Friends have given me Peppermint Bark at the holidays, but I had never made it myself. It’s something I’d been wanting to try, but I was actually a little intimidated by it. For some reason, I thought Peppermint Bark was hard to make. Well, after searching for some recipes on the web, I found a really easy recipe at AllRecipes. It’s unbelievably easy…even for a novice candy-maker like me! I added some peppermint extract to give the bark a little more peppermint flavor and used crushed candy canes instead of peppermint candies. I was really happy with how it turned out, and received good reviews from my friends who taste-tested it! This recipe uses an 11 x 7″ pan and makes about 1 pound of bark. If you want to make a larger batch, you can double the recipe and use a 9 x 13″ pan.

Here’s the recipe…happy candy-making!

REALLY EASY PEPPERMINT BARK by NancyCreative, adapted from AllRecipes and Nestle®

• 1 (12 ounce) package NESTLE® TOLL HOUSE® Premier White Morsels
  • 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract
  • 6 candy canes (or 24 hard peppermint candies)
  • Waxed paper or parchment paper (for lining your pan)

Line an 11 x 7″ baking sheet with waxed paper or parchment paper; set aside.

Place candy canes (or peppermint candies) in a heavy-duty plastic bag (I used a gallon-size Ziploc® freezer bag). Crush candy canes or candies using a rolling pin; set aside.

Microwave morsels in a medium-size microwave-safe bowl on MEDIUM-HIGH (70 percent) power for 1 minute; stir. Continue to microwave and stir morsels at 10- to 20-second intervals until morsels are melted; stir until smooth (be careful not to overheat the morsels). Add peppermint extract to the melted morsels and blend well.

While holding a strainer over the bowl of melted morsels, pour crushed candy into strainer. Shake strainer to release all small candy pieces, letting them fall into the bowl of melted morsels, and blend the candy-morsel mixture well. (Reserve the larger candy pieces for the top of the bark).

Spread the mixture in your wax paper-lined 11 x 7″ pan. Sprinkle with reserved larger candy pieces, pressing in lightly.

Let stand for about 1 hour or until firm. Peel off the wax paper from the bottom side of the bark and break into pieces. Store in an airtight container at room temperature.

Now that I’ve been successful at making Peppermint Bark, I’m ready to take on more candy recipes! 🙂

Linked to Sunday Showcase, Sundae Scoop, Potluck Sunday, Motivate Me Monday, Made by You Monday, Made With Love Monday, Mouthwatering Monday, Tasty Tuesday, Rednesday, Make It Yours Day, Show and Tell, White Wednesday, Holiday Recipe Week, Show Off Your Stuff, Favorite Things Friday, Foodie Friday, I’m Lovin’ It! Fridays, Food Fight Friday, Favorite Things Saturday.

UndertheTableandDreaming

Photobucket

43 thoughts on “Really Easy Peppermint Bark

1. aimee

I love peppermint bark!! It is so good. Love your pics – it turned out so pretty!!

I’m gonna make some next week, and my daughter is planning to make her first batch for friends. I make mine a little differently, with a base of milk chocolate on the bottom, topped by the white chocolate/peppermint. Good golly, how I love peppermint and chocolate together! Thanks for sharing your recipe with us!

I’ve seen the bark with the milk chocolate base like you mentioned–next time I make it, I’ll have to try it that way! You’re right–peppermint and chocolate is a great combination! 🙂

2. UrMomCooks

Yummy and easy – you are talking my language! Who wouldn’t luv a little tin of this dropped off on their desk in the morning??? Perfect for spreading cheer!

3. Emily

I’ve made this before, yum! This year I melted dark choc. first and poured the layer down. After that cooled I put the white choc. with the peppermints melted into it. It looks a littlt different, but was a great combination of flavors! it tempts me everytime I open my fridge!

4. Pat

Oh yummy –I love Williams Sonoma peppermint bark but it is a little pricy. I never thought to make it myself. Nice recipe! Happy Rednesday!

5. Carol @ Old Glory Cottage

You said the magic word: easy! Like you, I’ve always wanted to make my own, but thought it was hard. Can you share how much more peppermint extract you used? I want mine to be very minty. Thanks so much for sharing this recipe!
    Happy REDnesday!
    Carol

The original recipe didn’t include any peppermint extract, so I used 1/4 teaspoon, and it had a mild peppermint taste. So if you want a stronger peppermint flavor, you can try adding 1/2 teaspoon first, then taste it as you’re stirring the mixture–if that isn’t strong enough, try 3/4 to 1 teaspoon. Let me know how that works for you, Carol! 🙂

6. bj

Ummm..I love it, too. I just finished making mine and found out about the bottom layer of chocolate. I didn’t think to do that…so, I am going to make another batch. :))

7. Marianne Aanderbakk

I love peppermint bark too, but I have never added peppermint extract nor have I ever blended some of the candycane into the chocolate. This I got to try next time I make it. I usually whip up a few batches of it to give to my daughters teachers, so easy and so good.
    Thank you for sharing your recipe with us.

8. AprilR.

I just tried making peppermint bark for the first time Monday. It wasn’t too bad. I now know I need a little peppermint extract. It will greatly help. I did a bottom chocolate layer. But I don’t think I used the right chocolate and I didn’t have enough white chocolate. Now I know what changes to make..and I can’t wait to try it again. You peppermint bark looks wonderful!
    -April

Thank you, April! A friend of mine made this recipe and added a bottom chocolate layer. She just melted a bag of chocolate chips (same way you melt the vanilla chips), poured it in the pan and refrigerated it for 20 minutes. Then she proceeded with the recipe for the top layer. Hope your second try turns out great! 🙂

9. Linette

We just made a big batch of peppermint bark. It’s one of my holiday favorites! I usually use dark or semi-sweet chocolate for one layer, then do a second layer with white chocolate. Now I’ve got to go eat some:-)

10. laurie

This is my kind of candy – delicious AND easy! I can’t wait to try this recipe. Thank you for sharing it Nancy, and I’m glad you linked it to Favorite Things. Have a wonderful Christmas. laurie

11. Pingback: Friday Favorites!