Parmesan-Cheddar Squash Casserole

ncParmSquashCass1nm

I found a delicious yellow squash recipe about three years ago in an old Southern Living magazine, and made a few small changes to it–it has become one of my favorite side dishes! I usually make it in the summer months, when yellow squash is so abundant. I either use squash from my garden or purchase it from the local Farmer’s Market. The combination of Parmesan and Cheddar cheese in the casserole is really tasty, and I add more cheese than the original recipe calls for…you can’t go wrong with extra cheese! 🙂 Hope you have a chance to try it this summer.

PARMESAN-CHEDDAR SQUASH CASSEROLE by NancyCreative, adapted from Southern Living

• 4 pounds yellow squash, sliced (1 pound of squash yields about 2 cups sliced, so you’d need about 8 cups)
  • 4 Tbsp. butter, divided
  • 1 large sweet onion, finely chopped
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 2 1/2 cups soft breadcrumbs, divided
  • 1 1/2 cups shredded Parmesan cheese, divided
  • 2 cups (8 oz.) shredded Cheddar cheese
  • 1/2 cup chopped fresh chives
  • 1/2 cup minced fresh parsley
  • 1 cup sour cream
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1 tsp. pepper
  • 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
  • 1/4 tsp. garlic salt

In large skillet, cook squash, covered in boiling water, for 8-10 minutes or until tender. Drain well and remove squash from skillet; gently press squash between paper towels to take out remaining moisture and set aside. Then, in same large skillet, melt 2 Tbsp. butter over medium-high heat; add onion and garlic, and saute 5 to 6 minutes or until tender. Remove skillet from heat; stir in squash, 1 cup breadcrumbs, 3/4 cup Parmesan cheese, and the other remaining ingredients, except for the garlic salt. Spoon into a lightly greased 13×9-inch baking dish.

Melt remaining 2 Tbsp. butter and stir with remaining 1 1/2 cups breadcrumbs, 3/4 cup Parmesan cheese, and garlic salt. Sprinkle mixture evenly over the top of the casserole. (If you want, you can also sprinkle another 1/2 cup of Cheddar cheese on the top to make it extra cheesy.) Bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes, or until set. This makes 8-10 servings.

Linked to Foodie Friday, Favorite Things Friday. Vegetarian Foodie Friday.

41 thoughts on “Parmesan-Cheddar Squash Casserole

1. LaVoice

How I would enjoy a meal at your house. All the things you shared are very mouth watering. I do not cook much anymore, but sure love what others prepare.

2. Melodie

Oh yeah! I could really enjoy my squash this way. Yum! Thanks for the great recipe. I encourage you (if only for my own sake not to lose this!) to post it up at my Vegetarian Foodie Fridays carnival.

3. cindy

wow! This sounds and looks great! First time to your site and I’m glad I came.

treasuresinmyheart.blogspot.com
    my journey after the loss of my son, Joshua

4. Danice Corbin

This is the most delicious way to prepare squash. A neighbot made this for our family many years ago and it is one of my favorite things to eat. I always wondered how to make it and now I know! Thanks for posting this wonderful recipe. Look forward to making more of your recipes!!!

Yes, it really is a great way to prepare squash! Hope you find many more recipes you like here, Danice! 🙂

5. Emily

Yummy,I’m going to make this tonight with grilled chicken and fresh from the garden squash!

6. Sabrina

This sounds amazing! I have a ton of squash right now…do you think I could make a few pans and freeze them?

I haven’t frozen this casserole myself, but I don’t see why you couldn’t do that, Sabrina. You must be a great gardener to have so much squash! 🙂

7. Jennifer

I am looking forward to trying this recipe soon. Could you estimate how many cups of sliced squash is equivalent to 4 pounds?

Hi Jennifer–you would need about 8 cups, since 1 pound of squash yields about 2 cups. I updated the recipe, since I’m sure others might have the same question. Thanks for checking with me!

I’ve never made this with zucchini, but since it’s so similar to yellow squash, I think it’s worth trying–let me know if you do!

Thanks so much for letting me know you liked this! 🙂 The meal train you’re a part of sounds like a great idea!

1. Aimee Cronenberg

It is a fabulous thing! A group of people make a meal and bring it over on different nights in the couple of weeks after the baby is born, to help the family out. Then you return the favor the next time someone else has a baby!

I just crumble up whatever kind of bread I have on hand for this, Alice..sometimes it’s French or Sourdough bread, sometimes whole wheat bread. You can use whatever you like best!

8. Betty Ann Orman

Hi, I tried this receipe with zucchini (had a lot in my garden) It was very good fried the zucchini and onion,garlic all together and drained it after it was tender. Then followed your receipe, it worked. Thanks, Betty from San Jose, Ca

9. Millie Whitacre

Do you think this would work without the eggs? My niece is allergic to eggs, and I want to make this for Thanksgiving if I could adapt it for her! Thanks!

10. Hurricane

Being from the South, I used to make the Southern Living version with a mix of Crook-neck (summer yellow) and baby Zucchini squash all the time. ‘Course in the south there was normally bacon drippings involved in the makin’s but I made this version without the powdered garlic, only a hint of fresh garlic (half of a fat clove) and minus the parsley and chives. According to the consensus of my clan of 7 it IS a “do again!” That’s the seal of approval amongst young & old here. If I say “Is this a do again? And the response is “Not soon” that’s a thumbs down. If the response is, Yes! Soon! That means it’s a keeper! This got a loud & resounding Yes!

You can use a bread with a texture that you can crumble by rubbing with your fingers, or if your bread doesn’t crumble well, cut into small cubes.