Zucchini Spice Bread

ncZucBd2nm

I’m always looking for zucchini recipes to try in the summer because they’re so plentiful–sometimes I grow some in my garden or I know others who do and they share them with me. It’s fun to try out different things you can make with this squash. I tried this zucchini recipe out the other day from Martha Stewart.com, and it is really good! It’s nice and moist, and has a nice blend of spices in it. I made a few minor changes to the original recipe, and I will definitely be making this again! This makes one 9×5-inch loaf.

ZUCCHINI SPICE BREAD by NancyCreative, adapted from MarthaStewart.com

• 1 cup packed light brown sugar
  • 2 Tbsp. granulated sugar
  • 2/3 cup canola oil
  • 2 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp. baking soda
  • 1 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
  • 3/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
  • 1/4 tsp. ground ginger
  • 1/8 tsp. ground cloves
  • 3/4 tsp. salt
  • 1 3/4 cup grated zucchini (about 1 large or 2 smaller ones)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour a 9x5x3-inch loaf pan; set aside. In large bowl, whisk together the two kinds of sugar, oil, vanilla, and eggs. In small bowl, blend flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, cloves, and salt. Add this flour mixture to the egg/sugar mixture and blend well. Stir in the grated zucchini. Pour batter into the greased and floured pan, spreading evenly. Bake 45-55 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean (my loaf was done in 50 minutes). Cool in pan 10 minutes; then remove from pan and cool completely before slicing.

ncZucBd1nm

You know, you may want to double the recipe and make two loaves–it’s just that good!

(Note: If you bake this bread in a smaller loaf pan or mini loaf pans, do not fill pans more than 3/4 full of batter).

Linked to Strut Your Stuff Thursday, Show Off Your Stuff Thursday, Potluck Sunday, and Sundae Scoop.

41 thoughts on “Zucchini Spice Bread

1. Stefani

This is one break that I would love to make from scratch. I used to love it as a kid and want to see if my kids will catch on too!

Another recipe of yours I am bookmarking 🙂

2. Vivienne

Thanks for sharing this! I’ve recently used zuchinni in my baking for the first time…it was amazing so I’ve been looking for more recipes to try using this lovely vege!

3. Pingback: Easy Simple Recipes and Blog Link Party | Somewhat Simple

4. christina

i have made this recipe twice and both times my toothpick came out clean but after being out of the oven for awhile my bread fell and became very dense. the flavor is wonderful but i am just having trouble getting it right. any suggestions? thanks!

Hi Christina–Sorry to hear your loaf fell! 😦 I really can’t think of why it would do that…perhaps in your oven, you may just need to bake it a little longer, although it sounds like it was done if the toothpick came out clean. Since baking soda and baking powder affect the way something rises, you could try it next time with fresh containers of those ingredients. Hope your next loaf rises better!

1. Kristin

Hi there… I just made this bread tonight and it is awesome! After reading your comment about being dense and my batter as prepared looked a little thick… I decided to add a third egg. Worked like a charm for me and I got perfect loaf consistency. Thank you for a great recipe!

2. maurainelle

I wonder if the pan size made a difference. I didn’t realize that loaf pans had different dimensions until recently. In the past I had experienced the same problems with my quick breads coming out flatter even with recipes I had used for years with no previous problems. Turns out I had unwittingly used a pan that was larger and thus my breads turned out flatter and denser like Christina described. I now try not to go any bigger than 8.5″x4.5″ and have been perfectly content with the shape and dome of my loaves.

5. Pingback: Extra! Extra! Read All About It! {July 28th} :: GettingFreedom.net

6. The Mom Chef

Thanks for sending me your way. This bread looks amazing! You’re right, I am always on the look-out for quick breads, zucchini during the summer. It’s the easiest way to feed Hubby before he heads out for work. I’ve been making a lot of Amish friendship bread lately, but I will switch over to a batch of this soon. Thanks for the heads-up.

7. Trina

Just mixed this up for muffins for breakfast. The smell as they bake is amazing. I’m currently traveling and don’t have my cookbook stash with me. Thanks for posting a no-nonsense zucchini bread recipe that smells just like my favorite!

You’re welcome, Trina, and hope you liked the muffins! I’ve always made this as a loaf, so I will have to make muffins with the batter sometime!

8. Pingback: Sneak some zucchini onto your neighbors porch day! | Daily Holiday Blog

9. Kelie Micho

This zucchini bread is amazing..have tried a handful of other recipes and was getting discouraged..until this one!!! YUM!!!!! Thank you for sharing this with us!

10. Theresa

I doubled the recipe and made 24 muffins and a small loaf. Haven’t tried the loaf yet but the muffins are kind of chewey and sticking to the liners. Not bad though but I thought they’d be spicier with all those spices. Lost the recipe I’ve used in the past so trying a new one. Maybe I did something wrong in the doubling but I was pretty careful.

11. Pingback: Weekly Recap - July/August - Bug Theme, pre-school

12. Pingback: Zucchini Spice Bread | Simply Maple Mama

13. Gloria

Zucchini Spice Bread is utterly scrumptious. I’ve made it for years and usually add some raisins or dried currants. I always put out some homemade lemon curd when I serve it and all I get is raves and requests for my recipes.

14. Sarah

Love your recipe! So easy to adapt to personal preference. I did half oil, and have fat free Greek yogurt, omitted the regular sugar, and didn’t pack the brown sugar (I like it being subtly sweet). I also added 1/3 cup chopped walnuts to it. If anyone is interested in the nutritionals, this is what I calculated with the ingredients I used (I did not calculate in the zucchini).

Per one out of ten slices:

246 calories
    33 calories from fat
    11g fat
    <1g sat fat
    33.83g carbs
    14.73g sugar
    5g protein

Thanks again for the wonderful recipe!