I had a block of extra-firm tofu in my fridge, which I was originally going to try baking. But then I came across an eggless “egg salad” recipe using tofu and I decided to try something like that instead. It’s not that I don’t like … Continue reading
I’m such a bread lover–I love all kinds of breads, rolls, bagels–you name it. But I’ve found that I really have to watch how much bread I eat because it tends to want to stick with me–can you relate? :) So when I was asked if I’d like to try out some Sandwich Thins®, Pocket Thins®, and Bagel Thins®, I was definitely interested! Especially when I found out they are endorsed by Weight Watchers®, and are just 110 calories each or less. I received coupons for free product, product information, and a gift card to cover the cost of my recipe ingredients, courtesy of Sandwich Thins®, Pocket Thins®, and Bagel Thins®. I tried out some recipes, like the one shown in the photo above, plus a few others. I’ll share these with you, and then I’ll tell you more about my Gift Card and Coupon giveaway at the end of the post!
- The Sandwich Thins® Rolls have zero grams of Trans Fat, no high fructose corn syrup, are cholesterol free, and come in 100% Whole Wheat, Multi-Grain, Honey Wheat, and Flax & Fiber.
- The Pocket Thins® Flatbreads also have zero grams of Trans Fat, no high fructose corn syrup, are cholesterol free, and come in 8 Grain, 100% Whole Wheat, and Italian Herb.
- The Bagel Thins® Bagels have zero grams of Trans Fat, are low in fat, cholesterol free, and come in 100% Whole Wheat, Plain, Cinnamon Raisin, and Everything.
Here are the recipes I made with them…
BLACK BEAN HUMMUS BAGEL THINS® BAGEL adapted from Thomas’®
Makes 1 serving
- 1 Thomas® 100% Whole Wheat Bagel Thins® bagel (Weight Watchers® 3 PointsPlus)
- 4 Tablespoons black bean hummus (I used my own Black Bean Hummus recipe, but there’s also an easy one you can make from the original recipe here)
- 2 Tablespoons plain Greek yogurt or low-fat sour cream
- 2 Tablespoons of your favorite salsa
- 1 Tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 Tablespoons sliced black olives
Separate and toast a bagel. Place bagel down open-faced and top each half with 2 Tablespoons of black bean hummus, 1 Tablespoon of plain Greek yogurt (or low-fat sour cream), 1 Tablespoon salsa, 1/2 Tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro, and 1 Tablespoon sliced black olives. Serve immediately. For more servings, just multiply the ingredients by the number of servings you want to make.
CHICKEN CAESAR POCKET adapted from Thomas’®
Makes 1 pocket sandwich
- 1 Oroweat® Italian Herb Pocket Thins® flatbread (Weight Watchers® 3 PointsPlus)
- 2/3 cup Romaine lettuce leaves, chopped into small pieces (or use a Romaine lettuce mix)
- 3 slices thin-sliced deli chicken, chopped into small pieces
- 1/2 heaping Tablespoon shredded or shaved Parmesan cheese
- 1 to 1 1/2 Tablespoons non-fat Caesar salad dressing
Toss chopped lettuce leaves, chicken, Parmesan cheese, and Caesar dressing together in small bowl. Fill Italian Herb Pocket Thin® with lettuce mixture and serve.
GRAPE TOMATO BRUSCHETTA adapted from Arnold® Bread
Makes 2 slices of bruschetta
- 1 Arnold® Sandwich Thins® Honey Wheat roll, separated (Weight Watchers® 3 PointsPlus)
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, sliced in half lengthwise (be sure to slice them lengthwise–I sliced mine the wrong way and they didn’t lay on the roll as well!)
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 Tablespoon olive oil or garlic-infused olive oil
- 3 large fresh basil leaves
- 1 teaspoon shredded Parmesan cheese, for garnish
Toast the separated Sandwich Thins® rolls to a light golden brown. In a bowl, mix sliced grape tomatoes with the balsamic vinegar and olive oil.
Stack basil leaves and roll them in the shape of a log. Horizontally slice the rolled basil, making ribbons. Toss most of the cut basil with the tomatoes, reserving a little for garnish.
Spoon dressed tomatoes on top of each toasted Sandwich Thins® half and garnish with the remaining basil ribbons and shredded Parmesan cheese. Serve immediately.
Hope you enjoy trying these recipes out! :)
THE GIVEAWAY IS NOW CLOSED–Winning comment is #18!
Now for the Giveaway–a $25 Visa gift card and coupon for free product! If you’d like to enter to win a $25 Visa gift card, plus a coupon for free product shown in this post (Sandwich Thins®, Pocket Thins®, or Bagel Thins), leave a comment on this blog post between now and Sunday, March 30 at 8 p.m. (CST)–the random drawing will be made from the comments on this post only! The winner will be chosen randomly via Random.org and announced on Sunday evening, March 30. Winner will be notified via email (if winner does not respond in 3 days, I’ll do another drawing). Giveaway is limited to readers in the Continental U.S. and Canada.
First entry: Leave a comment on this post–it would be great to hear what your favorite healthy sandwich is!
Bonus entry: If you are a new or existing follower or subscriber, you can leave one extra comment telling me the way (or ways) you are following.
Note: If your comment doesn’t show up right away, it just means I need to click on it to approve it before it’s visible–I do this because of spam comments that sometimes come through!
I like making tuna salad in the warm weather months. It makes such a quick, easy meal and you can make sandwiches, wraps, or put a big scoop of it on top of some salad greens!
I found this recipe at Food.com and made some minor changes. This tuna salad has chopped dill pickles, celery, red onion, garlic powder, and parsley in it. It also has a little lemon juice and dry mustard powder to add to the flavor. If you don’t like your tuna salad real creamy, just use 1/4 cup of mayo–you can always add in more to make it as creamy as you want!
DILL PICKLE TUNA SALAD by NancyCreative, adapted from Food.com
Makes about 4 servings
- 1 (12-ounce) can tuna, packed in water
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 Tablespoons finely chopped dill pickles or dill pickle relish (if using relish, drain)
- 1/3 cup finely chopped celery
- 3 Tablespoons finely chopped red onion
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1/3 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon parsley flakes (or 2 Tablespoons minced fresh parsley leaves)
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup mayonnaise, depending on how creamy you like it (start with 1/4 cup and add more if you want it creamier)
Drain tuna well (the original recipe suggests using a colander to drain it), then shred tuna with your fingers or a fork, breaking up any clumps until it has a fine and even texture. NOTE: I did try draining the tuna with a colander, and it worked very well for me–that’s a good tip to keep in mind!
Put tuna in a medium bowl and mix in the lemon juice, pickles, celery, red onion, garlic powder, mustard powder, salt, pepper, and parsley until well blended. Fold in the mayonnaise until the mixture is evenly moistened.
Use for sandwiches, wraps, or scoop on some lettuce greens. This tuna salad can be kept covered in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
There are so many different ways you can make tuna salad! What are your favorite add-ins?
I made these wraps on a really warm day recently, and it made such a nice summer meal! They have lots of good and healthy things in them…lean turkey, a mix of baby spinach and lettuce, julienne cut sun-dried tomatoes (from an oil-packed jar), and cucumber strips. All wrapped up in a Tomato-Basil flour tortilla.
I modified a recipe that I had found at Kraft Foods, adding cheese and using sun-dried tomatoes instead of roasted red peppers, although those would be great in this, too. And I used a Tomato-Basil tortilla, but you can use your favorite kind.
SUN DRIED TOMATO TURKEY WRAP by NancyCreative, adapted from Kraft Foods
Makes 2 wraps
- 2 (8″) flour tortillas (I used a tomato-basil flavored tortilla)
- 1 Tablespoon light mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons light zesty Italian dressing
- 2 slices of Muenster or Provolone cheese, optional
- 3/4 cup baby spinach leaves (or a salad mix of half spinach leaves and half spring mix)
- 10 very thin slices of deli-style oven-roasted turkey breast
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced cucumber strips
- 1/4 cup julienne cut sun-dried tomatoes in oil (or substitute roasted red pepper strips)
- Sliced kalamata olives or slivered red onions, optional
Mix mayonnaise and Italian dressing; spread over tortillas. Put a slice of cheese in the center of each tortilla. Top evenly with remaining ingredients and roll up tightly–the key to a well-wrapped wrap is to layer the ingredients evenly and wrap tightly–something I still need to improve on! :) Cut each wrap in half and serve with a salad or other simple side dish.
Do you make wraps often? What do you like to put in yours?
Father’s Day just seems like a good day to post a burger recipe, since lots of dads love grilling burgers in the summer months! This Stuffed Cheeseburger is healthier than most because it’s made with Laura’s Lean Beef, which is … Continue reading
With Labor Day weekend coming up, you may be planning a picnic. And perhaps you’re going to make some baked beans for that picnic. If you happen to have any baked beans left over, you may want to make some … Continue reading
I originally saw this recipe on Pinterest and couldn’t wait to try it out! It’s from Real Mom Kitchen, and it’s a very quick and easy–as well as tasty–chicken salad that’s perfect for brunch, lunch, tea time, bridal and baby showers, and other gatherings. I added a little more green onion to mine and thought it would be good with some finely chopped almonds mixed in. I really liked this chicken salad! In addition to the green onion, it has red grapes, celery, and diced apple–a great mix of flavors with a slightly crunchy texture that’s just right.
If you’re making this chicken salad for lunch, it’s great served on a croissant, wheat bun, or whole grain bread…if you’re making this for a party or get-together, try serving it on mini-croissants. Or, you may just want to serve a big scoop of it on a bed of lettuce…
…and sprinkle some sliced almonds on top! Yum!
QUICK AND EASY CHICKEN SALAD slightly adapted from Real Mom Kitchen
Makes 4 to 6 servings
- 2 (12.5-ounce) cans of chicken (or 3 cups finely diced or shredded cooked chicken–rotisserie chicken would be good in this!)
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise or light mayonnaise
- 1 cup red grapes, halved
- 1 to 2 green onions, finely diced (I used 2)
- 1 stalk celery, finely diced
- 1/2 cup finely diced apple (I used a Pink Lady apple and thought that worked well with all the other flavors)
- 1 Tablespoon finely chopped almonds, optional (you can also use pecans, walnuts, or cashews)
- salt and pepper to taste
Add finely diced or shredded chicken (my canned chicken shredded really easily with a fork) in a medium to large bowl. Then add the mayonnaise, halved grapes, diced green onion(s), celery, apple, and finely chopped nuts if desired, blending all ingredients well. Add salt and pepper to taste, if desired.
Serve on croissants, wheat rolls, or bread…or serve a big scoop on lettuce, sprinkled with some sliced almonds (or coarsely chopped pecans, walnuts, or cashews).
I love how easy this is to make and it tastes so good! Do you have a favorite chicken salad recipe?
Not long ago, I made a seasoned turkey burger for the first time, and I really liked it! A little later, I came across several different Greek-style turkey burger recipes. Since I love most Greek food, I definitely wanted to try this idea out! I created my own recipe, inspired by the other recipes I had found. These turkey burgers are yummy and healthy. Chopped black olives, feta cheese, and some herbs and spices are mixed in with the ground turkey, adding to the juiciness and savory flavor of these burgers. They taste great topped with Tzatziki (which I made about a week ago as a veggie dip), red onion slices, and tomato slices. You can also top the burger with mayo instead of Tzatziki.
They’re easy to make, and you can make the Tzatziki ahead of time, even the day before, to save time. I also served the burgers with a simple Tomato-Feta Salad, and that recipe is included below.
GREEK-STYLE TURKEY BURGERS by NancyCreative
Makes 4-6 burgers
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped black olives
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- dash of black pepper
- Tzatziki (or mayo), tomato slices, red onion slices, and lettuce, if desired, for toppings
If you want to top the burgers with Tzatziki, make it before preparing the burgers so the flavors in the Tzatziki can blend together…get the recipe here. Or use mayonnaise as a topping instead of Tzatziki.
Combine all ingredients above in a large bowl. Blend them together well (using your hands is easiest) and form into four patties, a little more than 1 inch thick. These make four big patties, so if you want smaller ones, divide the mixture into 5 or 6 patties.
Grill burgers in a non-stick or oiled pan or rack (the cheese will make the burgers stick to your cooking surface, so be sure to oil your surface). Grill until burgers are desired doneness–depending on the size of your burgers, grilling time will be about 8-12 minutes.
Serve on whole wheat rolls or buns and top with Tzatziki (or mayo), tomato slices, and red onion slices. Add some lettuce too, if you want. Or serve the burgers in a pita pocket with Tzatziki, tomatoes, onions, and lettuce. One recipe suggested using Tahini instead of Tzatziki, and I think that would be a good topping on these burgers, too.
TOMATO-FETA SALAD WITH OLIVES by NancyCreative (pictured in large photo at the beginning of this post)
Makes 1 serving; multiply recipe by number of servings needed
- 1 medium to large-sized tomato, sliced
- 1 Tablespoon chopped black olives
- 1-2 Tablespoons crumbled feta cheese
- dash of Balsamic vinegar
Arrange tomato slices on plate and sprinkle with olives and crumbled feta cheese. Add a dash or two of Balsamic vinegar. That’s it! It’s a super-easy, delicious tomato salad! If you don’t like Balsamic vinegar, you can drizzle some lemon juice or olive oil (or both) over the tomatoes, olives, and feta cheese.
Enjoy these turkey burgers! Do you like Greek food, too? What’s your favorite Greek dish?
If you’re like me, you have some extra cranberry sauce from Christmas that you’re wondering what to do with. Well, here’s an easy recipe for a cranberry cream cheese spread that goes great on bagels. It makes a nice breakfast during and after the holidays! And I’ll also tell you how to make a bagel sandwich with this spread– a sandwich that also uses leftover turkey…just the thing for a quick, easy lunch! My inspiration for this cream cheese spread came from a recipe over at My Kitchen Addiction. I used a little more cranberry sauce and added a few more ingredients–fresh chopped cranberries and finely chopped pecans– to give the spread a little more color and texture. It’s really good on bagels, especially toasted bagels! I used whole wheat bagels, but use whatever bagels you like best. The recipe makes a little more than 1 cup of spread.
CRANBERRY–PECAN CREAM CHEESE SPREAD
- 1 (8-ounce) block of cream cheese, softened
- 2 Tablespoons cranberry sauce (I used Ocean Spray® Whole Berry Cranberry Sauce)
- 1 Tablespoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 Tablespoons finely chopped fresh cranberries (or if you want a sweeter taste, chop up dried cranberries)
- 2 Tablespoons finely chopped pecans
In a small bowl, combine softened cream cheese, cranberry sauce and honey, blending well. Add in cinnamon and ginger and blend well, then stir in the chopped cranberries and pecans. Serve immediately on toasted bagels or bread…or muffins, too. If not using right away, store in an airtight container in your refrigerator for up to a week.
I also made a yummy-tasting sandwich with this spread and here’s the recipe for that, too…
- Cranberry-Pecan Cream Cheese Spread (see recipe above)
- A bagel of your choice, toasted or untoasted
- 1 Tablespoon cranberry sauce
- Lettuce leaves or fresh baby spinach leaves (I used lettuce leaves from an organic packaged mix)
Slice bagel in half (unless it’s pre-sliced) and spread both sides of bagel with desired amount of cream cheese (toast bagel first if desired). Put as little or as much cream cheese on as you want. On one bagel slice, place 4-5 thin slices of turkey on top of cream cheese (you can use less slices if turkey is sliced thicker). Spread the Tablespoon of cranberry sauce on top of the turkey slices. On the other bagel slice, place desired amount of lettuce over the cream cheese. Place this bagel slice over the turkey bagel slice and voila…you have just created a yummy holiday sandwich!
Avocados and tomatoes are such a tasty and healthy combination…especially sun-dried tomatoes! And when I received a loaf of Nature’s Pride new Hearty Wheat Bread with Flax as part of the Foodbuzz Tastemaker Program, I decided to try making a healthy Sun-Dried Tomato-Avocado Sandwich! I got the idea from a paperback cookbook I had that was simply called Sandwiches (published by Silverback Books, 2000). The creamy avocado spread mingled with the sun-dried tomatoes tastes great spread on this healthy, hearty flax wheat bread. It just goes to show that eating healthy can be really delicious! :) This recipe makes 2 sandwiches.
SUN-DRIED TOMATO-AVOCADO SANDWICHES adapted from Sandwiches
Makes 2 sandwiches
- 1 small, ripe avocado
- 1 small clove garlic
- 1 1/2 to 2 Tablespoons Greek yogurt or light sour cream
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 to 6 Romaine lettuce leaves (about the size of a bread slice)
- 5 to 6 oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes (or 1/4 cup pre-sliced sun-dried tomatoes in oil)
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons of oil from the sun-dried tomatoes
- 4 slices of wheat bread
Cut the avocado in half lengthwise; remove pit and scoop flesh into a small bowl. Mash well with a fork. Peel and mince garlic, then add the garlic, yogurt or sour cream, and lemon juice to the bowl of mashed avocado; mix all ingredients well. Season this avocado mixture with salt and pepper to taste, if desired.
Wash the Romaine lettuce leaves and pat dry. If using unsliced sun-dried tomatoes, cut them into fine strips.
Lightly drizzle the oil from the sun-dried tomatoes over the 4 slices of bread.
Divide the Romaine lettuce leaves and place on 2 of the slices of bread. Divide the avocado mixture in half and spread over the lettuce leaves on the 2 slices of bread. Arrange the sun-dried tomato strips over the avocado mixture on each slice, then top each sandwich with the remaining slices of bread. Cut sandwiches in half and serve.
This makes a very filling sandwich that’s yummy as well as healthy! You could toast your bread slices if you like, and if you’re a cheese-lover, you could add a slice of cheese to each sandwich.
Happy healthy eating! :)