With the Super Bowl coming up, you may be looking for some ideas on tasty finger foods and appetizers you can serve. This is a great recipe I found at Kraft Foods. I added a little more cheese, some chopped green onions, and fresh cilantro–if you use these, make sure you chop them very finely so the tortillas will roll up nice and smooth (I didn’t chop my green onion stems fine enough, so my filling was a little bumpy, but they tasted good!) These Salsa Roll-Ups are really easy to make and just about everyone loves them! You can make the roll-ups a few hours ahead of time if you want and then cover and refrigerate them until you’re ready to serve. This recipe makes about 20 to 24 roll-ups, so you’ll want to double the recipe if you’re making this for a larger group.
SALSA ROLL-UPS by NancyCreative (adapted from Kraft Foods)
- 4 oz. (1/2 of an 8-oz. package) cream cheese or light cream cheese, softened
- 3 Tablespoons salsa (use your favorite kind–I used a “Lime and Garlic” flavored salsa)
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 4 (6-inch) flour tortillas (or substitute 3 (8-inch) tortillas–I like to use the spinach, sun-dried tomato, or whole wheat flavors)
- 3/4 cup finely shredded sharp cheddar cheese or Fiesta/Mexican blend cheese
- Optional: 2 green onion stems, finely chopped (you need to finely chop these so the tortillas will roll up better!)
- Optional: 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, finely chopped
In small bowl, mix softened cream cheese and salsa together until well blended. Add chili powder and blend well.
Spread cream cheese mixture evenly onto the tortillas. Top each tortilla evenly with shredded cheese, green onion, and cilantro. Roll up tortillas tightly (they’ll cut into slices much better if you roll them tightly). Trim the ends of each rolled tortilla about 1/2″ to 1″, and cut each tortilla into 5 slices for 6″ tortillas, or 8 or 9 slices for 8″ tortillas.
Arrange on a platter and serve. Makes 20 to 24 roll-ups.