Now that the weather is definitely wintry, it’s a great time to make a steaming pot of soup! I guess you could call this recipe “semi-homemade”…except for the ground beef, it’s made with canned ingredients. I like it better than canned vegetable soup though, and it’s simple to put together. You’ll need to make it in a stockpot or Dutch oven…I use my cast-iron Dutch oven. Serve it with a salad and some thick crusty bread for lunch or dinner–it’s guaranteed to warm you up!
SIMPLE VEGETABLE BEEF SOUP by NancyCreative
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 (14.5-oz.) cans mixed vegetables (like Veg-All®), drained
- 1 (14.5-oz.) can beef or vegetable broth
- 1 medium-size onion, finely chopped
- 2 (14.5-oz.) cans diced or crushed tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (8-oz.) can tomato sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder (optional)
- salt and pepper, or your favorite seasoning, to taste
In large stockpot, crumble and brown ground beef over medium heat until fully cooked; drain. Add canned vegetables and broth; stir to combine ingredients. Then add chopped onion, diced or crushed tomatoes, and tomato sauce; stir well. Add garlic powder if desired, and salt and pepper to taste. Mix all ingredients together and heat to boiling; then reduce heat and simmer for 1 hour. Makes 6 good-size servings.