Once a month, we have department snacks at work and we have a schedule worked out for who brings what each month. Last month, one of our Art Directors, Phil, brought this egg-cheese-broccoli casserole that was really yummy. It was just something he made up, so he didn’t have a recipe for it. He told me how he made it and I jotted down the “recipe” so I could try it out myself. I made a few adjustments, like adding chopped green pepper and mushrooms (if you don’t like those, you can substitute something else). It’s very creamy and cheesy, and even if you’re not a big fan of broccoli, I think you’d like this. So here’s the recipe if you want to try it…
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 1 (16-oz.) bag frozen chopped broccoli, thawed
- 1 medium to large onion, finely chopped
- 1 green pepper, finely chopped
- 1 (6.5-oz.) can sliced mushrooms
- 1 Tbsp. Mrs Dash Garlic and Herb or Tomato Basil Seasoning Blend (you may want to use more or less, depending on your taste, or substitute your favorite seasoning)
- 12-14 eggs (I used 12; you can use Egg Beaters as a substitute for some of the eggs if you want–1/4 cup=1 egg)
- 1 1/2–2 cups sour cream or light sour cream
- 1 (2.5-oz.) package of real bacon pieces (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese
In a large skillet over medium heat, melt butter and saute the broccoli, onion, and green pepper about 10-15 minutes or until tender. Stir in mushrooms and season with the garlic herb seasoning or your favorite seasoning. Turn heat down to low. In medium bowl, whisk the eggs and sour cream together, blending well. Add this egg mixture to the broccoli mixture in the skillet. Turn heat back up to medium and cook mixture, scrambling all ingredients together until eggs are done. Stir in the bacon bits if you’re using those. Season with additional salt and pepper if desired.
Spoon half of the egg-veggie mixture in the bottom of a 9×13″ pan. Sprinkle with 1 1/2 cups shredded cheese. Spoon the remaining egg-veggie mixture on top of that, and then top with the rest of the shredded cheese. Bake at 325 degrees for 16-20 minutes. Let cool 5-10 minutes before serving.