Something that’s hard for me to resist when I see the long aisle of Easter candy at the store are those malted milk Robin Eggs–malt balls covered with a candy coating. I buy them every year and eat way too many of them! This year, I told myself I would not buy them unless I used them in a recipe. And since I’ve been short on time lately, it needed to be something pretty simple. So I came up with an Easter Trail Mix–a blend of chocolatey sweets mixed in with some healthy ingredients. The mini robin eggs and pastel M&M’s give the mix plenty of chocolatey taste and spring color, and the other goodies include raisins, sunflower kernels, coconut flakes, peanuts, and mini pretzel twists. This recipe makes a large bowl of trail mix, so there’s plenty for everyone to munch on!
EASTER TRAIL MIX by NancyC
Makes about 13 cups
- 1 (13.7 oz.) bag Mini Robins Eggs (almost 3 cups)
- 1 (11.4 oz) bag milk chocolate easter M&M’s (about 1 2/3 cup)
- 1 cup raisins (you can use golden or dark raisins)
- 2/3 cup roasted and salted sunflower kernels
- 1 cup sweetened dried coconut flakes
- 1 (16 oz.) container cocktail peanuts or dry roasted peanuts
- 3 cups mini pretzel twists (you can also use mini pretzel sticks or mini pretzel snaps)
Mix all ingredients together in a large bowl, stirring with a large spoon. Eat right away or store in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks. Makes a great food gift, too, packaged in treat bags!
Are you a fan of those Robin Eggs too? Are you using them in any Easter recipes this year?